Thursday, January 4, 2007

The Tough Things

Well, the second quarter of my PhD program is off to a quick start. The first night back (Jan. 2) I had Hebrew. We began the class with a quiz. I did not do well. I did not even crack the Hebrew book during the holidays. I wanted to - OK, not want but intended to. I even took my Hebrew materials with me to Indiana. Never opened them up. Now, I did write about 25 pages of my paper for the first quarter (it has to be about 35-40 pages) and I wrote a column for One Voice Magazine. So, I was not slothful! But I never got to the Hebrew. I graded about 30 papers for an MDiv class in which I am a TA (Teaching Assitant). I worked over the holidays. But not on Hebrew.
One of the toughest things we do is take on the tasks that we don't really enjoy. To do the things that have to be done regardless of the pull that the things you want to do have on you. Its called discipline. Its one of those things we all want and all lack. Some of us are better at it than others. I guess I fall about in the middle. Better at it than I was when I was younger but not as gung ho about it as some others I know.
I have the feeling that Jesus wanted to teach more than he wanted to die on a cross. I'm sure he enjoyed the disciples more than the Pharisees. I think he enjoyed the healing ministry more than he did the flogging from the Roman soldiers. Discipline has its price. Its not easy. Tom Hanks character in "League of Their Own" said of baseball, "It's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the hard that makes it great. If it wasn't hard, everyone could do it". That's what discipline really is, I guess. Jesus had it when we needed it. I hope to have when I need it most. At least, I hope to have enough of it to get through Hebrew. Wish me luck. I think I'll need it.

No comments: