Sunday, January 14, 2007

Affirmation Part II

I went to Santa Ana today. I have been preaching there for several weeks and will be preaching every Sunday for the near future. This is a small group of about 20 people who have been through a very difficult time that is more complicated than I know and more painful than I can imagine. They are holding on and remaining faithful in spite of enormous hurdles.
Every week that Joanie and I attend and share, the people continually thank us for coming. They apologize for the small numbers and are genuinely grateful for our coming and doing this. I confess that I have two reasons for taking on this assignment. First, since I am studying homiletics, it seems wise to "keep my hand in" the preaching scene as I study. Second, I get paid for the responsibility of preaching there and in our current situation, the money helps pay the costs of going to school. The situation fits us in the sense that all they want me to do is come and preach. I have no pastoral or organizational responsibilities (their retired pastor, who is in his 80's and pastored them for more than 30 years is there and fulfills the pastoral roles). So, it is a match for both of us. Joanie and I travel the 45 miles to Santa Ana every Sunday morning and then come home after church. They have no Sunday School because they share their building with a thriving Hispanic Church of God that takes responsibility for the upkeep and development of the facility. While we worship, they have Sunday School. While they worship, we fellowship and drink coffee. Sounds ideal to me.
The reason I bring all this up is that they are the most appreciative and grateful group of folks I have ever been around. They have two adult couples, several single middle aged adults and a few senior adults and around 3-6 youth that attend regularly. They love us and are very appreciative of our coming. They apologize and find it amazing that someone would come all that distance to preach for them and do a good job in the pulpit. As for me, I find the atmosphere of affirmation and appreciation to be a refreshing change. Having spent the last several years in a church that often criticized more than it affirmed, it is fun to be in a place that affirms and chooses not to criticize. I wish I could go back to those who in both my previous church (or churches) and to those who attend church who feel that "keeping the pastor in check" is the role of the laity. I never did respond well to being the center of criticism and negativism. The reality is that I would work harder, pray more, and study deeper in an atmosphere where folks affirmed than I would do in an atmosphere of backbiting and gossip. I suppose most pastors (or any other human being) would too. I just wish people understood how powerful affirming can be. So, when these good folks at Santa Ana apologize for having so few people, I simply reply, "It is a privilege and a pleasure to preach for you". And, I really mean it.

2 comments:

Jerry said...

Two of the most powerful forces in the universe are grace and affirmation. God gives us both. As God-followers, we should always do the same. I always want to affirm and lift people up. It's such fun!

As one who has walked a similar path, I feel the emotions of your post. For me there is the joy of current realities and the pain of what ought to have been.

Thanks for sharing. I really enjoy your posts.

So when will your sermons be on iTunes?

:-)

Jerry

PJ said...

Well, to answer both of you, iTunes is an interesting idea. I probably will get around to that just as the technology is changing and iPods become obsolete.
Kevin, I should be in Anderson sometime in the Spring. I always look forward to seeing you and sharing a lunch or a time of fellowship. I appreciate both of you guys and always look forward to seeing and hearing from you. Love you both!