Tuesday, January 9, 2007

We Do Better Together

The hour is late and the morning comes early. Such is the lot in life of those of us who have too much to do and too little time to do it. But, it is a wonderful release to share your thoughts and so, before heading off for some rest, here are a few random thoughts.
Tomorrow I get to share an OT story in the homiletics class in which I am the TA. All these poor souls trying to learn how to preach have to endure listening to me do a five minute story about Elijah. Why? Well, on Thursday they have to meet with their small groups and in front of them and the TA (or it could be the professor!) they have to share an OT story - from memory, without notes. Tomorrow should be fun to share with them. I am telling the story of, "The Man From Nowhere" - dealing with the fact that Elijah came from Tishbe, and Tishbe is about as close to nowhere as you can get!
I spent about four hours with a classmate tonight translating Hebrew. He is very helpful to study alongside. He has already taken two years of Hebrew and knows tons more than I ever will. He is gracious to share his knowledge. He might pull me through. We will be beginning our translation of Jonah soon. That should be an adventure!
I guess I am learning that all learning requires some kind of dialogue. It is possible to do your PhD program couped up in your room reading books and writing papers. I can't do that. To me, the joy of learning is sharing with others and drawing strength and insight from others. That really is the concept of the church. I wonder why we don't see how sharing with others helps all of us become what God wants us to be. We sit in pews (how can you share with others when all you see is the back of their heads?), get there when the service has started and leave as soon as it ends. Collegial learning requires that we spend time with one another. After all, that's what we pray, hope, and expect God to do when we read the Word or pray. We want Him to show up and dialogue with us so that we can draw strength from Him and from His insight and wisdom. Maybe we should be better at practicing the same.

No comments: