Friday, December 22, 2006

Christmas Shopping and Other Sins

I find myself conflicted as this Christmas season comes around. I just got back from Christmas shopping and I feel frustrated. First of all, Christmas shopping is a sin. It hurts (my feet and back are killing me, let alone my wallet!). People are rude and annoying (man have I got stories to tell). And all it creates is more work and less fun than just about anything this side of plucking out nose hairs. On top of all of this, I am conflicted this year about the whole idea of Christmas and the rampant materialism that has consumed the holiday.
About a month or so ago I went to a Chapel Service at Fuller and one of my professors gave the sermon (it was excellent!). He gave a concluding illustration about the materialism of Christmas. To try and fight against this and to be a responsible parent, he has created a Christmas tradition of his own within their family. He has given his kids money for Christmas (though now they earn their own) to use for Christmas gifts. However, the gifts cannot be given to anyone they know. The money is not to be used to buy presents for their parents or teachers or classmates. The money is to be given away to help someone or some group that is in need.
You might think that this has created friction with his kids - but just the opposite is true. They now spend the entire year listening to those who talk about the needy; they research different charities and non-profit groups that help others; they spend time figuring out just how much they can give and to whom to accomplish what kind of specific good. As he finished telling his illustration, there was not a dry eye in the house. He had struck a real nerve.
So, you can guess why I am conflicted. I have spent so much money on those I love and so little money on those in need that I have become the poster boy for the materialism that has overtaken Christmas. I will spend the next couple of days wrapping presents and we will take Monday to open the gifts and enjoy the bounty that will be under the tree. However, this year I will be thinking more about others and what their needs are then I am about me and mine. I wonder if Christmas will ever be the same. I hope not. Maybe I am remembering the story of the Wise Men who came to a needy family, spent their own money to help give them what they needed, and went home without gifts of their own and were glad for it. May we all take the journey back to Bethlehem this season and try and rediscover what giving is all about.

No comments: