Monday, May 1, 2006

"If you've got good health . . ."

Today I found out from the doctor that I have pneumonia. I've never had pneumonia. As a matter of fact, if I count down the number of health problems I have had in 53 years they amount to some childhood sicknesses, allergies, and bad ankles. Not bad, all things considered. But now, I have pneumonia. I can't sleep because I can't lay down (it both hurts and I start coughing and can't stop). I remain as tired as can be but with little relief. Not that I do well at sleeping anyway - I must have a touch of insomnia (Ooohh, another malady to add to my list!). I cancelled a trip to Indiana for a meeting and some time with my son because I couldn't see sitting on a plane for hours and hours and in meetings for hours and hours the way I feel. I remember when we were younger and Doug was living with us, he got mononucleousis when he was in High School (Is that the same thing as pneumonia? I don't really know but I do know he didn't have any fun with it either, as I recall, and neither am I). Come to think of it, my Aunt had carbuncles and I think my mother had a hairy mole! (Don't you hate it when people give you a travelogue of all their diseases and the full family history of every illness?)
So, for the next few days I get to stay home (I don't think I realized that pneumonia is highly contagious) and find ways to stay sane. I think I will get some sleep (eventually) and do some writing. You may hear more often from me. I promise not to bore you with the fascinating details of my recovery! I guess with every thing there is a silver lining. I will enjoy the chance to write creatively. I hope you will, too.

No comments: