Sunday, May 28, 2006

Anticipating Change

You ever notice how the subjects of your conversations tend to gravitate to work? Mine do. There are times I get tired of talking about the church with other church members. Isn't there something else to talk about? I am a fairly well read individual with a varied degree of interests. I like history, current events, sports, NFL fantasy football, movies, plays, dramas, family, and the life stories of other people. That's a pretty well rounded subject base. I can talk fairly intelligently about politics. I like to discuss ideas about a wide variety of subjects. I don't blush talking about sex or relationships. I don't shy away from controversies or controversial positions. I am equally at home talking to women or men. I relate well to those who are younger than I am. Having had two children from birth and one from the teenage years who are all married (or about to be) I can talk about family issues with some depth. I love my wife and can talk about her for days. I listen fairly well, especially for someone who talks as much as I do. So, why do so many of my conversations end up being about the work I do?
As Joanie and I anticipate changing course directions in our lives, one of the things we will be looking forward to is having conversations about lots of "other" things. Making new relationships is always challenging but now we will be going into a place where we are not the pastors and not everyone we meet wants to get to know us or talk to us. We will have to reach out to make many of these new relationships. And to do that, we will have to find other things to discuss. And I, for one, am looking forward to talking about those things and not the drama of the church or the latest problem in some program or ministry group. Talking about what is happening in the fullness of life should make life more full. At least, that's what I'm anticipating.

No comments: