Monday, May 22, 2006

The DaVinci Code Part II

After going to see the movie, "The DaVinci Code", I was walking out of the theater and I overheard a lady behind me say, "If that challenges your faith, your faith is pretty weak". Touche.
Tonight, after Jonathan and Maria went to see the movie, he called and we talked some. He told me about the ways in which the movie differed from the book. After our discussion, I understood why all the controversy had erupted. There are, apparently, some things in the book that are very strongly emphasized that Ron Howard, to his credit, chose not to include in the movie. The whole idea of "the sacred feminine" was barely touched upon. If it had been emphasized, it would have created a huge yelling match. Apparently, in Dan Brown's book, the truth of Christianity has devolved into a sexual cult that practices sexual acts as part of their faith or in keeping alive the "fullness" of God.
Well, I must admit, I thought the movie was C- at best and I would give a thumbs down (not for the religious content of the movie, just as movie-making goes, it wasn't very good). However, for Ron Howard to have left out some even greater offensive parts of the book gives me some hope for his sensitivity to the masses. Even the portrayal by Tom Hanks of the main character ends up giving him a skeptics eye. It gives some balance to the false teachings concerning Christianity and the church. All in all, I can't recommend the movie and I think I'll pass on the book.

No comments: