Monday, May 29, 2006

A Wonderful Day

Well, I got my wish. I spent a day with friends. Actually, we had a progressive dinner together (it was our small group Bible Study group) that started at 4 and ended at 10. We spent little if any time talking about "shop" and spent the day talking about our lives, our interests, Memorial Day, and sharing our stories. After writing about not talking enough about things other than business, it was indeed refreshing to spend the day together talking about other things. What fun!
In the midst of it we talked about the meaning and importance of Memorial Day. The other two guys that were there were both veterans. Hearing their stories and experiences made it all the more meaningful. I flew the flag today as a way of reminding others (and myself) of the sacrifice that has given me this day. Joanie and I watched "Band of Brothers" today. All of it left me with a profound sense of the real meaning of Memorial Day. I found that refreshing and moving.
I want to thank my brothers, Toby and Scott, for serving their country (Toby was in Vietnam). I want to thank my father, Frank, for serving his country (he was in the service during WWII). I want to thank my father-in-law, John, for serving in the Army Air Corps in WWII. I want to thank all those who have served. I don't like war. I don't want to be at war in Iraq or Afghanistan. I want all the troops to come home. I want peace on earth. I want to thank all those who put themselves in harms way to protect the freedoms and the rights we have. And, most especially, I want to thank those families who have sacrificed so much for me and my family. To all of you on this Memorial Day, I say "God Bless".

No comments: