Saturday, May 6, 2006

The Kentucky Derby - An Excuse for a Party

I used to live right across the river from Louisville. This weekend, the first one in May, was always a chaotic and celebrative Saturday. You couldn't rent a tent or some kind of outside covering anywhere within 50 miles. You see, the Kentucky Derby was always a great excuse for a party, for a family BBQ, and for bringing in the joy of spring. Now, I've been to Churchill Downs (The last time I went there was with our youth group here in Fresno. We were on a trip to Nashville, Tn. for a the Youth Convention and spent a few days in Louisville where we visited the Louisville Slugger Bat Factory and Museum, Churchill Downs and the Derby Museum, and an absolutly fascinating cemetery that is historic in its nature. The kids liked the Bat Factory more than the cemetery - go figure). Churchill Downs isn't much to look at. It is an old facility that they have tried to spruce up a bit in recent years. But as a place to visit - it isn't much.

In all fairness I should tell you that I have never been to the Derby. It is more of a mad house than it is anything else (unless you get to go with the rich and famous). Like the Indy 500 it is an all out party among masses of people who love to drink and, well, drink. Not being a drinker, the idea of going to the Derby or to the 500 looses its appeal. However, the idea of having a party has not and, I hope, never, looses its appeal. I love having a party.

When was the last time you had an excuse for a party. If there is one thing I have noticed about living in Fresno it is that we don't party very much. Maybe its the extreme heat in the summer or the nature of the culture, but we don't party enough. Maybe its because we don't have the Derby as an excuse. They say that the new Save Mart Center is the busiest concert venue around. We like our parties inside, sitting in an auditorium, watching someone else have a party. Sad, if you ask me.

Even in the church we find few reasons to have a party. What a shame. Jesus was a party goer. Just read the Gospels and you will be hard pressed not to come to the same conclusion. He loved being with others, sharing food, gathering for weddings, having a late luncheon with some new friends - any kind of party. I wonder what that says about our concept of Jesus as a dour, serious figure who never smiled? As a matter of fact, I think worship should, first and foremost, be a party. A celebration. A good time. After all, if you are in a place where praise is happening shouldn't that be a party atmosphere? The next time you go to church, I hope your worship experience has an element of celebration to it. I hope it is joyous. I hope it is more like a party than a funeral. I hope it is like the Kentucky Derby - an excuse for a party.

No comments: