Monday, May 2, 2005

Snowstorms, Strangers, and Worshipping Together

When you pack for a summer sabbatical and you start out across the country on April 30th, the last thing you expect to see in Amarillo, Tx. on May 2nd is snow. That's right, snow. I woke up this morning and turned on the T.V. at the hotel to see what the weather report was going to be for the next leg on our trip (it was supposed to be raining in and around Oklahoma City) when they came on the Weather Channel and said, "It's snowing in Amarillo!". Joanie, who hasn't been in a snowstorm for at least 11 years, jumped out of bed and ran to the window. Sure enough, there was 4+ inches outside. Our car was covered with snow. The ground was covered with snow. I have one long sleeve shirt with me. It's supposed to be warm!
However, I discovered some things about God as we got ready to venture out in the snow. The hotel offered a free hot breakfast bar for all their guests. Joanie and I went to the dining area and there we engaged in joyously spirited conversations with 3 strangers (a lady from Colorado, a couple on their way to Arizona, and one of the hotel employees) about the amazing weather conditions. I went to the front desk to ask for something to clear off the snow from my car and told the front desk attendant that we were from Fresno and not quite prepared for this weather. I found out that she had been born and raised to the age of 11 in Fresno. We chatted about her background and I shared with her about the church. It was a nice conversation. She gave me a broom to get the snow off the car. As I returned the broom to the front desk I ran into a couple from Georgia that was checking out of the hotel. He eyed my broom and I told him that the front desk had given it to me. We chatted for a while and then went in and had a nice conversation with the girl from Fresno.
As we got in the car to drive down the highway, I realized that I had been in conversation with at least 7 different people that morning, strangers who had been drawn together by the common bond of the uniqueness of a Spring snowstorm on the 2nd of May. Folks, that is what worship does for believing community. Hundreds of primarily "strangers" show up at First Church each Sunday. We are drawn together by the the common bond of a desire to experience God. We enter into conversations with one another and with God as a way of expressing this unique and joyous experience. And in the midst of our conversation of prayer, singing, sharing, giving, receiving, and studying the Word together we are drawn together into a dialogue that would never take place except that we have the common experience of openness toward God. If snowstorms can do that to perfect stangers, imagine what God can do to those who come together weekly and share with one another the desire to grow deeper in the spiritual life.

No comments: