Friday, May 6, 2005

Blessed Beyond Measure

As a father, being involved in your children’s lives is both an incredible responsibility and an awesome privilege. Over the past two nights we have been invited to be a part of some of the most important, celebrative moments in the lives of these two fine young men God has blessed us with. Now, to the uninitiated, the first event won’t seem very important or memorable, but I guarantee you it is part of a ritual that has been a significant part of their collegiate experience.

On Wednesday night about 25 fellow classmates involved in the Avanti Booster Club raided the house to capture both Jonathan and Joel. As part of their Club ritual, they tied up the boys and “kidnapped” them to a local park area near their home. They tied them up to a tree and dumped all manor of foul smelling things on them – to the delight of all the club members and, eventually (after listening to the boys talk about it after the event was fully completed and they had showered and cleaned up), to both Jonathan and Joel. Joanie and I were in the house when they were captured and went out to the park for the treeing. As we drove back with the boys and their fiancĂ©es, we reflected on a night more than 30 years ago when I was “treed” and celebrated for becoming engaged to Joanie. In fact, the guys from the club waited an extra day for Joanie and I to be there. What an honor to be there and to be considered by all these college guys to be present for this ritual. Not many other parents have ever been invited to such an event (I know of none). As part of the transition from college life to adulthood, it was an important moment. Even the boys were glad we were there. What an honor.

The next night, Joel asked us to help him with one of the most special nights of his life. Joanie went out and bought some candles and flowers to help create a special mood. He asked the two of us to go out to an area just off campus called University Condominiums. Located on the property is a small, man-made lake. Just off to the side of the lake is a small gazebo that has become the “special place” for the two of them. With the engagement ring placed in a unique jewelry box (it was in the design of a yellow rose), Joel walked Shafali to the gazebo. Fortunately, she suspected nothing. Seeing the candles and the flowers, she looked at the man she loves and he, bending down on one knee, confessed his love for her. “I cannot give you security or promise you great wealth, but I can give you the only thing of value I have. I can give you my love. I can give you my self. Will you marry me?” With tears in her eyes and joy in her spirit, Shafali committed to marry this exceptional young man. They make a dynamic team.

Now, both my boys are officially engaged. Jonathan and Maria were engaged at Christmas. Jonathan proposed to her on Christmas Day, giving her the engagement ring as the final present to be opened that day. Joanie and I sat on the couch in tears as our son moved from the adolescence of dating to the adulthood of marriage. What an incredible moment to witness. He and Maria make a powerful couple for God. Now, with the events of last night, we have witnessed the engagement of both our boys. This summer, I will help to officiate at both of their weddings. I have three boys, and I will have baptized and performed the wedding ceremonies for all three. As a father, as a pastor, as a Christian, I am blessed beyond measure.

No comments: