Monday, May 16, 2005

Five Real Friends

I have been thinking about friendships. I have spent the weekend in New Albany with Eric and Lisa, dear friends over many years. They have been kind and gracious not only to open up their home to me, but to open up their hearts to me as well.

"This communicating of a man's self to his friend works two contrary effects; for it redoubleth joys, and cutteth griefs in half. "
Francis Bacon

I have already been able to spend time with some friends during this Sabbatical. Renewing old friendships and meaningful relationships has a healing affect on the soul. A few of the friendships we have renewed:

  • We drove down to Uncle Ray's funeral with Marna. While she and Joanie are family (cousins), Marna and Steve have been close friends over many years.
  • I saw Phil and Betty at graduation. We intend to get together for dinner or to spend an evening together
  • I saw Dr. Reardon and got a chance to talk to him. How I love that man and what he has meant to me.
  • At Baccalaureate I saw Dr. Massey. He has been my mentor, confidant and guide or more ways than he knows.
  • This week our family will go over and have dinner with Kevin and Kristi Stiffler (and his family and parents). What a joy to see Kevin graduate from seminary and to spend time talking in his office the other day. He is a true friend.
  • I received an email from Jerry and Linda Webb to come visit them during the Sabbatical. We have spent many days and nights together sharing our hearts and lives. He is a good friend.

"My father always used to say that when you die, if you've got five real friends, you've had a great life."

Lee Iacocca

Even before I left I had an opportunity to share with friends. Friends came by the office to wish me well. Friends prayed over me at an altar before we left. New friendships were being formed with Doyle coming on staff and the instant rapport we had together. Cards, notes, emails, phone calls - all designed to encourage Joanie and I. Friendships may be rare but they are even more priceless.

  • Before I left for Sabbatical I bought some new golf clubs from a friend. The clubs were nice, the friendship is better.
  • I stayed up last night talking with Eric until 2:30 in the morning. We shared of life, the Bible, old hurts and new healings, hopes and dreams. The kind of sharing you can only do with a friend you love and trust and who loves you and trusts you.
  • Tonight, several old friends from New Albany are coming over for a cookout. We will laugh and share together; get caught up on family news; we will remember fondly times shared and friendships made. I am reminded of that great line from my favorite movie, "It's A Wonderful Life" - "Remember, George: no man is a failure who has friends."

After five decades of living, it's good to know that my life has not been a failure.

No comments: