Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Honoring Their Sacrifice

I've been thinking about my friend, Bill. I miss him. He is far away in another country doing a job he has been trained to do. He does it willingly. He does it in order to serve. He does it knowing it takes him away from his wife and children. He does it knowing that it disrupts his life - his present and his future. And he does it for me and for my family. And he does it for you and your family. As the sun sets at Camp Arifjohn in Kuwait I know that the world is safer and a better because my friend, Bill, is doing his duty.
I've been thinking about my friend, Luis. I miss him. His is far away in another country doing a job he has been trained to do. He does it willingly. He does it in order to serve. He does it knowing it takes him away from his wife and children. He does it knowing that it disrupts his life - his present and his future. And he does it for me and for my family. And he does it for you and your family. As the sun sets over Baghdad, I know the world is safer and a better place because my friend, Luis, is doing his duty.
I wear a silver band on my left wrist. It reminds me to pray for my friends Bill and Luis and my friends Ryan and Daniel - men who are serving in the National Guard but who have been called to active duty in the Gulf. To me, these are the real heroes of our day. Not the rock stars or movie stars, not the NBA playoff players or the NFL mini-camp participants. Heroes who risk it all.
Joanie and I spent about an hour this past weekend driving through a cemetery. Filled with American Flags it sought to have the public be reminded about those who sacrificed their lives in battle. I, also, wanted to remember those who serve today. Who may not be called to give the ultimate sacrifice but who, nevertheless, sacrifice their wants to serve me and you. On this Memorial Day Weekend, they are my heroes. Thank you, friends, for giving and serving. I honor you because you honor me. You are my friends.

No comments: