Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Hospital Food and Pool Hall Ministries

I spent the day with Jim Lyons today. Jim is both the pastor of the North Anderson Church of God and the speaker on the national radio broadcast for the Church of God, CBH (Christians Broadcasting Hope). He is a former state representative for the state of Washington and a creative speaker, writer, and teacher. It was a fascinating afternoon of hearing his vision and heart for the church he pastors. He is a civic leader and national influencer for the Church. We ate lunch together. He chose the restaurant. We ate at the hospital.

Now, I confess that the choice of the restaurant was engaging for me. Not many folks have ever taken me out to lunch and gone to a hospital lunchroom as a place to find fine dining. The cafeteria was nice, clean, and about everything you would imagine for a hospital cafeteria. If you are wondering why he chose that place instead of another venue for lunch, then read on.

Philosophy is the answer. Let me explain. Jim serves as the president of the hospital board. He has served on the board for 12 years and is finishing up a term as its chair. He didn't choose the cafeteria out of some loyalty to the hospital or some need to support the dietary department. He chose it because of a philosophy. He believes in the church affecting the community. He believes in the gospel making an impact in places where the church typically is not noticed. He believes in making public ministry a ministry to the public. In other words, he is willing to eat in the hospital cafeteria because, frankly, the people coming into and out of the hospital are the very people he (we) have been called to touch with the story of Jesus Christ. And you can't tell a story to someone you haven't eaten with on their turf (Jesus proved that). So, we went to the cafeteria for a salad and a grilled cheese sandwich. It was a powerful lunch.

Some months ago I did a ride-a-long with the Fresno Police Department. During the 10 hours I spent with the officer he neither spoke to nor arrested anyone that he did not know. Now, I know that says something about the recidivism of crime in our society but it also speaks to the idea of community policing. Effective officers know their community and have a relationship with the people (good and bad) that are in the community. They prevent and solve crimes because they know who is there and what they are doing. Do you know your community that well?

How well do you know your neighbors? Your neighborhood? Tragically, how well do we know the folks in the neighborhood of the church? The sad reality is that I could not tell you the names of anyone around the church except for those who attend the church. I don't know what is going on in their lives nor what their needs are. I have never heard their story. As a pastor I am far too removed from the neighborhood that surrounds me. As Christians, we are far too removed from those to whom we need to be ministering and paying attention to.

I used to go to a pool hall and play pool at nights. I talked to people who drank beer and "lived lives of quiet desperation". I made a good friend of the owner (one that continues today). It may have been the most significant ministry I have done in the last few years. I dined with modern day Zaccheus'. I ate with sinners and people in need of Jesus Christ. I spoke to those who hadn't been to church since the last wedding or funeral in the family. I spoke of my life and of what I believed. I played pool and witnessed to others. I counseled those in need who shared their story with me. It was ministry outside the box. It was taking the gospel to the community rather than waiting for the community to come to the sanctuary to hear the gospel.

Maybe we need to get out more. Maybe we need to invite a neighbor over for coffee and cake. Maybe we need to lower the backyard fence a notch or two and see over the barriers we have erected between us. Maybe you ought to take someone to lunch. That sounds like a good idea. May I suggest the hospital cafeteria?

No comments: