Sunday, July 17, 2005

A Week Like No Other

This will be a week like no other in our lives as parents. This week our youngest son will be married. It seems hard to believe. I remember that we brought him home from the birthing center just hours after he was born. How long ago was that? Last week? Two weeks ago? Where have the years gone?
I know exactly where they have gone. They have gone into countless books we have read together. To games and plays that I attended just to watch with pride the grand development of a brilliant and gentle young man. The years were spent visiting Grandma and Grandpa in Tampa; in countless trips to Anderson for Campmeeting and college; playing police officers in my office in Florida; times spent in the basement in New Albany; years spent around the table in Fresno playing games; and one glorious Saturday morning eating breakfast with a hundred other Boosters and knowing that all my sons where there and Boosters together.
I know exactly where they went. They have gone into trips back and forth to school and off to practices and rehearsals; in times at McDonald's and happy meals played with; in collecting comic books and X-Box games; reading in the car; decorating Christmas Trees; cooking together in the kitchen; in the joy of watching his face on Christmas morning for, even today, he has never lost the joy of Christmas in his heart.
I know exactly where they went. They were spent in all night vigils in the hospital; in gathering around the bed as Grandma "slipped the surly bonds of earth"; in tears of pain and hugs of healing; in Graduation celebrations and Red Barn plays; in Byrum Hall glory and Chorale magnificence; in kisses that chase away the darkness and bind us with a love no distance can break; in moving from buzz cuts to fades and from glasses to contacts; in one last trip together to Illinois with a truck full of what you own as you store it away and get ready for your life ahead with Shafali.
I know exactly where they went. They went into all the dinners I bought for the mountain of friendships he made over the years. They went to meeting countless friends he has made in his life. They went to all the times he made me laugh with joy at his improv troupe or his comedic acting. They went into the dedication service when he was but a baby and I placed him into the arms of God. They went into communion shared, baptism witness, prayers at the altar, and worshiping the Lord together.
I know exactly where they went. I just wish I could do them all over again. Except, I know the years ahead will forge just as many memories as the ones behind. And if I have to choose I choose the future. For there is no limit to what God can do with a young man whose heart is yielded to God and whose spirit is touched by His hand. Wherever the years have gone, God has given more ahead. God bless you, Joel. If you and Shafali have half the blessings in your life that you Mother and I have experienced in raising you, then your life will be full and filled with the kind of joy that one can only hope for. I love you, son. Have a great week.

Love forever,

Dad

No comments: