Sunday, July 24, 2005

Transitions

I cannot begin to tell what this week has been like. My youngest son is married and off on his honeymoon and I am writing this blog from the apartment that Jonathan and Maria have rented for themselves once they get married on August 27th. Jonathan made the comment tonight at dinner that he is now the only Frymire unmarried! Five weeks and that will no longer be true.

Joel's wedding was a wonderful day. In spite of raindrops and thunderstorms, power outages and misplaced jewelry, nervous brides and strange VFW women, the wedding and reception went off without a hitch. Mark and Debbie Klecka are wonderful people who have raised an incredible daughter who is now my daughter-in-law. They have marvelous children at home that were incredibly impressive with their politeness, gentle spirits and gracious hospitality. We were blessed to stay with them and receive their friendship and fellowship.

Imagine, my baby boy is now married. He was so impressive during the ceremony. Strong vows said with incredible conviction; mammoth tears as his Grandfather talked of having a great cloud of witnesses that look upon us (Hebrews 11) and that the crowd now included his Grandmother; joyous laughter as he received from Micah a stone from Fresno - taken from just outside the classroom where they first met more than a decade ago. Under enormous pressure to plan a wedding, finish the last of his undergraduate classes, apply for loans and visas to go to England, and pack up a house and move it to Illinois for storage, Joel was the consummate gentleman and sweet soul. He is married. What God has ordained has now come to pass. And one of my commitments to God has been completed.

When my sons were young (we didn't quite have the chance to do this with Doug) I made a commitment to God. I promised God that I would raise them to the best of my ability; that I would teach them about God and try and give them a good Christian example that would influence them for Christ (I said that very thing at both their dedications); I committed my resources to their education and fulfilled a commitment started by my father to pay for their college tuition (we still have a few payments left - any donations are always appreciated!); and to prepare them to be men who would honor their mother and learn how to treat their wives. This commitment is now complete with Joel and in 5 weeks will be fulfilled with Jonathan. God has been faithful. He has honored my vow. He has blessed my family. I am grateful to serve a God who can do such things. Amen and amen.

No comments: