Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Growing Up

Everyone wants to grow up when they are little. Just ask a child how old they are and they will increase their age by 1/4, 1/2, or "almost". When you are being treated as a child you want to be seen as an adult. At my Uncle Warren's funeral I mentioned all the times Susan (Warren and Margi's daughter) and I would have to sit at the "children's table" because their wasn't enough room at the "adult's table". Every teenager wants to be an adult and, more importantly, be treated as an adult. However, growing up is hard to do.
Both my boys are going through the joys and pains of becoming an adult. Joel is dealing with visas, loans, foreign currency and going overseas. Jonathan is dealing with blown head caskets (Sorry Doug, but the car motor is now shot and will be taken to be sold for parts), new motors, paying for classes, and setting up a new apartment in Indianapolis. In addition, both are having to do all the preparations for a wedding (Joel's is passed but...) and the joys of transitioning between being single and married. And neither of them has enough money to do any of the things they are preparing to do. Do you ever have enough money to do the things you are preparing to do? I think not.
No matter how you slice it, growing up is hard to do. As a father my natural instinct is to jump in and try and save the both of them. That is neither wise nor feasible. Everyone has to face these trials. They never come easy when you are the adult and have to make the final decision. Everyone may wish to be an adult, but there are some times it is just plain tough to grow up. I thank God that I am an adult and have gone through these trials. I sure wouldn't want to go through them again. Now I get to revert back to my childhood. I think I'll go play some games on the computer. Ha! Take that adulthood!

No comments: