Friday, July 29, 2005

Living Out of a Suitcase

OK, I confess. I have finally grown tired of living out of a suitcase. I have grown weary of packing and repacking the trunk. My hanging clothes in the back seat look like rejects from the dry cleaners and I have stuff in bags that I cannot find. The vagabond life is fun but there has to be a better way to handle all the "stuff" that you have and that you accumulate during 3 months on the road. When we get to Florida (probably on Saturday night) it will be good to unpack everything and organize it better than it is. This has been the longest stint with everything still in the car (or at least major portions of it) during the Sabbatical. Ah, if only the van hadn't been in such bad shape. It would have made the traveling portion much easier!
I have learned how to get along with much less than what I do at home. It is amazing how much stuff we have that we really don't need. I have managed to get along without all the extras that seem to crowd our lives. Maybe there is something to this simpler lifestyle idea after all. It is good not to be in the "rat race" to accumulate more stuff.
What can you do without? What has become too necessary to you? If you stepped back, what could you live just fine without? Jesus managed 3 years without a t.v., computer, car, wardrobe, living room furniture, and deodorant. Maybe the simpler life will make our lives, well, simpler to manage, live, and enjoy. Think about it.

No comments: