Monday, February 26, 2007

One Down, the Future Awaits

When things are finished, there is a mix of emotions. I follow the NFL with passion and can understand what it must be like for players who go all the way to the Super Bowl and either win or lose. The emotions on both ends are quite powerful and you are unsure just what to do next. The winners can revel in their victory; the losers can wallow in their sorrow; the coaches have to hurry up and get ready for the Draft and Free Agency; and the fans are elated but soon realize there is no more football for months. The real players don't do much reveling or wallowing. They feel a sense of satisfaction for a job well done (or almost done) and get back to work for next year. Why? Because the joy of being on top of the mountain is the journey along the way. I believe that. As a matter of fact, I'm living that.
The way things work here at Fuller (at least for the moment) is that you have a Seminar one Quarter and the major thrust of the Seminar is for you to do a 30-40 page research paper. They automatically give you an extension at the end of the Seminar Quarter and you have until the end of the next Quarter to finish the paper. My first Seminar was in the Fall and class finished in December. I have two weeks left in this Quarter to finish the paper. As of this weekend, I won't need them. When I finish writing this entry I will take my 44 pages and turn them into my Professor. It is finished. My very first PhD research paper. If I don't get an A on it, my PhD work will be off to a rough start. If I don't get at least a B on it, I may be asked to leave the program. No pressure though (LOL). I think it is a good paper. I guess if you can write 44 pages about just the introduction to the sermon and integrate your ideas with four major theorists in the field of Practical Theology, you should feel good about it.
However, mostly what I feel is not elation or even satisfaction. It is the desire to get back to work on the next project. I was up late last night getting my next paper together for the Seminar I am taking this Quarter. It's not due until end of May but, I am ready to begin. I love the journey. One of the great blessing of being a believer in Jesus Christ is that I can be freed of those things, those sins that tie me down and cause me to center on my past and my past failures. By His Grace I am free to look ahead. I am looking forward to the next leg in the journey. More joys await!

No comments: