Sunday, February 18, 2007

On Becoming the Cloud: The Life of Dr. Robert Reardon

When my father died in 1980, I preached his funeral. One of the things I said at the conclusion of my sermon was, "Goodnight, Dad, I'll see you in the morning." It was one of those things I always said to my father as I headed up the stairs at night. It seemed to be the most appropriate thing to say. There were some family and friends to whom that statement meant a lot. It still resonates with me.
Last Saturday I received word that one of my favorite people, one of my mentors, someone who greatly influenced my life and career, Dr. Robert Reardon, passed away. I just spent some time listening to part of his funeral on the Anderson Herald website. It was moving, sad, celebrative, and powerful. But, then again, that was Dr. Reardon. A few years back he told me we had reached the place where I could call him Bob. My reply? "Thank you, Dr. Reardon, that means a lot to me." I never did call him Bob. I never called my Dad, Frank, either. It just didn't seem right. They had earned their titles and I respected them greatly. Back in the 90's I had the privilege of having Dr. Reardon come to the church that I pastored in Fresno during the 100th Anniversary of the church. It was a great time. He did a fantastic job. I was proud to be able to introduce him and call him friend. And today, as the final chapter closes on his life, I still am.

I was wondering, what happens to you when you die? Simple question that has baffled humans since we first came of being. I think I know in part. I think you become a cloud. No, I don't think you become some puffy wisp of white in a sky of blue. Not that kind of cloud. I think you become part of the cloud. I think that's where Dr. Reardon is now. He is not a cloud, but he is part of the cloud. I'm still not sure you've got what I mean yet. Maybe this will help. Here is a passage from the New Testament - Hebrews 12
"1Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. 2Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. 3Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart."

Yep, I think that's where Bob Reardon is. He is part of that great cloud of witnesses that surround us all, that encourage us to reach for greater things than what we have done thus far. He is part of the entourage that includes my Dad and he is encouraging me. He is now part of the cloud that continues to inspire me. One day I hope to join that cloud and root you on in your lives - my friends, children, students, parishoners, anyone who needs someone to surround them and help them run the race without failing. I want to be part of the cloud. And like Dr. Reardon, I plan to start now. I don't want to wait until death comes knocking to become part of the cloud. So, I hope you are all feeling encouraged by this. Like my Dad before me and my mentor, Dr. Reardon, let me tell you what they told me. I believe in you. Keep up the good work! And if you ever need a helping hand, I'll be there. Be encouraged. As long as I live, I want to be part of the cloud. And after I die, I want to join the throng and be part of that great cloud of witnesses. But until that day comes, let me say just one more thing about my friend, Dr. Robert H. Reardon. "Goodnight, Dr. Reardon, I will see you in the morning."

No comments: