Sunday, November 19, 2006

Two Ears and One Mouth

I've been thinking about my friend, Patty, today. I talked with her this afternoon and she shared with me her concerns and issues. They are serious and challenging - nothing made up or fluff, just real issues about body, soul, and mind. I wish there was something that I could do to change the circumstances (typical male thinking, I grant you). I want to help or heal or create a significant change in the circumstances that surround her. But, I am hours away and, even if I were minutes away, there is nothing in my own power that I can do to change her situation. Sound familiar? Anyone who cares about another person who is going through a difficult time knows what I mean (and that's most if not all of us). Amazingly, Patty said something that reminded me that there is something that I can do. Toward the end of the conversation as I was lamenting my lack of power over her situation, Patty said, "That's all right. Just talking with you has made a difference."
I continually forget that compassion comes not just in giving a prescription for healing but in the idea of being sympathetic or empathetic. Not all healing comes from pills or surgeries or psychiatric insights or money. Some healing comes just from listening. Compassion is listening with your ears, mind, and heart. Sympathy is more than feeling sorry for another. It is putting yourself in that persons shoes and feeling their pain and dilemma (actually, that's probably more like empathy - though that usually means you have experienced the same thing and know if from the inside out rather than the outside in). Compassion is an ear more than a mouth. Compassion is not telling someone how you feel but is listening and coming to realize what the other person really feels.
The old adage is still true. God gave us two ears and one mouth. Maybe we should get the hint! Well, you have ears to hear. You will be amazed at how many hurting people are looking for someone who will listen (really listen) to them and you will be further amazed at how much healing come come through your ears and not your mouth.

No comments: