Monday, April 24, 2006

What to do with Anger when You are in Worship

I became very angry today in church. No one really knew, but inside I was very upset. Not at something that someone said or did to me but what had happened to someone else. They had been hurt, betrayed, and were suffering at the hands of another who was inflicting pain for no appreciable reason other than to hurt the person. What do you do with that?
After more than 30 years of ministry in which I deal with people on a daily basis and still fail to understand how some people can act with such anger and hatred toward someone they once cared about in some small or large way. And, inevitably, innocent people get caught up in the pain and become further victimized by them. What is the gain? What is the upside to this? I have been told that people get a sense of importance and value from even negative reinforcement. What a sad state of affairs to get your sense of self from inflicting pain on others for no reason.
But let me return to my initial question. What do you do when you are angry and in a worship service? Well, anger can lead you away from worshipping God. So, you can't let the anger get the best of you. This morning, I shared what happened with two other leaders in the church who were equally angered by the action that was hurting a friend. One of them went toward the front of the church and immediately went into a time of prayer. The other, went and stood by the person who was hurting and was there to both love, support and help them. As I looked back, I noticed that they, too, were in prayer. Maybe the best way to deal with anger is to be a sponge. You pick up the hurt and pain of another, soak it up inside your soul, and then go into your prayer closet and squeeze out all the anger and frustration. It rolls down off your soul and lands in a puddle at the foot of the cross. And anger laid at the cross becomes hope for the victim and healing for the soul.

No comments: