Saturday, April 15, 2006

The Lot of Preaching and Pastoring

One of the problems in being a preacher is that you are always talking to others. Maybe the most frightening thing is that people actually listen to what you say. However, the second scariest thing is that they listen, but do not hear. As a preacher, teacher, and pastor I am willing to accept the fragile truth that I will spend a lot of time talking to people about important matters. I accept the fact that what I say can and often does make an impression on others who are in the course of making important decisions about their lives. It is often disappointing to know that what I say and what people hear can be so very different. I don't mind being quoted but it is rather frustrating to be misquoted. I guess the issue is taking responsibility. I am willing to take responsibility for what I say but I think it is proper to hold others accountable for hearing what is really being said.
Recently, the news reported the story of a young boy who called 911 to report his mother being ill. The operator heard his very young voice and chided him about calling the emergency line. The young boy was doing what his mother had taught him to do. The operator heard him but never really listened. A tragedy resulted. I get continually frustrated with news shows that bring in opposing "talking heads" to allow the discussion to be "fair and balanced". Those who debate the issues never listen to one another. They talk over one another and the resulting gaggle is indecipherable. It seems no one listens. How sad.
As I read the story of Jesus, I am constantly struck by how much he was listened to but how little those most interested in him actually heard him. The disciples were always listening but never understanding. The Pharisees asked tons of questions but couldn't accept his answers and decided to silence him rather than listen to him. God gave us two ears and one mouth. Maybe we should get the hint.

No comments: