Monday, April 17, 2006

On the Cusp

Adventures. They are the stuff of legends and novels. In The Lord of the Rings they have The Fellowship of the Ring. They set out for Mordor and the adventure of a lifetime. In The Chronicles of Narnia the children discover the wonder of a magical wardrobe closet that can transport them to another world and a lifetime of adventures. Jason and the Argonauts on a quest for the Golden Fleece; Huck Finn and Jim on a raft floating down the Mississippi; Jason Bourne out to discover his real identity; the list of adventures goes on and on. And, at least for me and my life, I can add one more. Tomorrow I take the first fledgling steps in an adventure - a new adventure for me.
It may not rank with the annuls of Gimli or Edmund or Lucy or Huck . . . but for me it is the grandest quest I could imagine. Tomorrow I meet with Dr. Clay Schmit and I will take the first steps toward becoming a full-time student in the Fall at Fuller Seminary. Like those heroes of fables and myths, this journey will surely have its shares of ups and downs, twists and turns. I can only hope that it has a happy ending! But even now, I realize that these next few years are really about the journey, the adventure and not just the destination.
When was the last time you had an adventure? When was the last time you lived a prolonged period of your life completely and totally dependent on God in faith believing? We spend so much of our lives in predictable places doing predictable routines. Living on faith is living without the knowledge of what is coming next - yet somehow knowing that because God knows, that is enough. Joanie and I have lived a great deal of the last decade or more in predictable ways, knowing what has been generally around the corner. Today we don't. And that is new, refreshing, and, just maybe, the way life is intended to be lived. Come, join the adventure.

No comments: