Monday, November 28, 2005

Voices

We heard from our son, Joel, today. He called us on Thanksgiving all the way from Liverpool, England. Homesick and missing his family he was able to speak to us and share a few moments together. It was so rich and rewarding that he purchased a phone card and called again on Saturday for a longer, more extensive call. It was heartwarming and rich to speak to him.
As I write this blog I am very conscious of the fact that the written word cannot replace the warmth and joy of the spoken word. Today in my sermon I used the illustration of Helen Keller who was once asked if she could recover only one of the senses she had lost (speech, hearing, and sight) which one would she choose. She replied that she would want to hear because it is so lonely in here. I believe that hearing the voice of someone you love is a joy beyond measure. I know to have spent the week with one of my sons and to hear from the other across "the pond" was an exciting week (I called my other son, Doug, but we have not made contact yet). Nothing can replace the excitement of hearing someone's voice.
In the Bible we have the written Word of God. It is a priceless gift from God. Yet, there is an even more priceless gift He gives us - He makes the written Word come alive when He speaks it into us. To hear His voice and to know His will for my life is to hear the Living Word of God. All of scripture cries out to us to hear the Word of the Lord. We dare not go through our spiritual lives without hearing His Voice. Nothing can replace that joy.

No comments: