Sunday, November 20, 2005

Thanksgiving

Today part of our family arrived. I have three sons who live in three different places. My oldest son and his wife live in NE Ohio and my youngest son and his wife are living in Liverpool, England for the year while they do graduate work. But today, my son Jonathan and his "wife" Maria came in for the week. They had flown into LA and spent two days with her folks and then her Mom, Dad, and brother brought them up to Fresno and we will share the holiday week together (although Maria's family will go back tomorrow).
I find that it is far more fulfilling to be with family than for Joanie and I to be by ourselves. Don't misunderstand, Joanie and I are very much in love and we love being "empty nesters". What we don't like is being alone. Ministry can be a very lonely experience. I don't mind being alone and enjoy the idea of solitude very much. I don't like being alone when it feels lonely - and both ministry in general and the lifestyle of California work against spending large amounts of time with others. Growing up in an atmosphere where visiting and fellowshiping together were normal occurrences, it has been hard since the boys left home to get used to not having people around the house. We are both very social creatures and enjoy the sharing of ourselves with others.
If I had one desire in my life at this point it would be to find myself in a social setting with others where being pastor was not an issue or a prerequisite. I don't mean to equate myself with Jesus, but I do have an inkling as to what he felt like at times. The crowds crush in for an official word and you seek solitude. Then you have a desire to spend time with others and they don't have time to share. It can be a lonely existence. Thanksgiving will be a special time because the loneliness will be gone and the ability to share together will be at the forefront. I am very thankful for that privilege. Amen.

No comments: