Thursday, November 10, 2005

Back to the Future

Life is full of difficulties. Some are real and some are imagined. Some are big and some are shadows that make you think they are bigger than they really are. Like a shadow they get smaller the closer they are to the light. Some like living in the shadows - making mountains out of molehills. I do not. I accept the reality that there are difficulties and that difficult situations need resolution. I just don't want to spend my life putting out smoldering piles of leaves when there really are houses on fire. Know what I mean?
Why do people like problems? Difficulties? Discontentment? I have never really, fully understood why people like reveling in the dusk and dredging up those things that try to drag themselves and everyone around them back to what used to be or to difficulties that are in the past. But they do. You will pardon me if I choose not to go in that direction. I was always fascinated by the movie title, "Back to the Future". The premise seemed to be that if we could go back to a pivotal moment in our past, we could change the outcome of the present and, by acclimation, the future. It was a great movie (series of movies) that I enjoyed immensely. But it was a movie. It was fantasy. You can't go back and you can't change the future by living in the past. We must go forward. For us it is "Forward to the Future" and not "Back to the Future". God, help us not to get stuck in the loop of a past that cannot be changed by dwelling on it. Amen.

No comments: