Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Losing Friends

I lost some friends this past week. Don Pickett was a mentor and leader that influenced my life in substantial ways. He taught me how to treat people and delegate responsibility to those around me. I learned to value the input of others and to give them their space in order for them to do ministry. I learned the value of investing in the ministry of others. As I make the move to an academic setting filled with young ministers (either in age or experience) I am reminded of how much Don invested in me and my ministry when I was the age of many seminarians and he was my age. I hope to do the same and keep his memory alive in those in whom I invest.

Rich Meyer has been the senior pastor at Noblesville Church of God where my son, Jonathan, is the Associate. Rich died from cancer while Jonathan was out here visiting Fuller. It was a tragic situation where Rich faced a very aggressive form of cancer. They tried to arrest it by amputating his arm but were unsuccessful. The church in Noblesville is in shock and are without their pastor. Jonathan will have additional responsibilities and tasks facing him as he returns to home. He is there now ministering to Rich's family and the church family. Jonathan, the church, and the Meyer family are front and center in my prayers. I know that Don Pickett would understand that.

Losing friends is never easy. When the church loses leaders it always begs the question, "Who will replace them?" Well, I intend to do my part. My guess is that Jonathan will do his. The only question left is, "What will you do?" Peter was crucified upside down - and the church continued on; John died of old age on Patmos - and the church continued on; Elijah was translated, John the Baptist beheaded, Stephen stoned to death, and Jesus was crucified - and the church moved forward. Joshua replaced Moses, David replaced Saul, Timothy replaced Paul, and Elisha replaced Elijah - and the cause and mission of God moved ahead. Don Pickett and Rich Meyer did their part and now they have moved on to an eternal reward. While the Lord tarries, let us do what the Lord requires of us.

"What does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God." (Micah 6:8)

2 comments:

Jerry said...

Good post, Jeff. I feel the same responsibility. Three have gone out from my ministry into pastorates. That includes Jerry. That's not enough. Praying for more.

Wayne said...

You make the point Jeff! We are all debtors and we owe it to those coming behind us to be our faithful best.