Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Moving

This will not be the last time I address this subject. After 11 years in Fresno (and never having a yard sale or garage clean-up during that whole time) we are now attempting to pack up 31 yrs. of living, 11 yrs. of living in one place and move from a 4 bedroom, 3 bath, 2,000 sq. ft. home to a 2 bedroom, 1 1/2 bath, 1,000 sq. ft. apartment. Trying to figure out what to toss, store, move and sell is not an easy task. Joanie has been variously in tears, frustrated beyond belief, and joyously discovering long forgotten goodies that we did not even remember having. I, on the other hand, am grateful that we are moving somewhere where there is no garage so I won't store junk for the next several years that I didn't need for the last 11 years and didn't really need before that!
We do keep running across memories. We found music and materials from Joanie's mother who died 7 years ago; handprints Jonathan put on a piece of material from school; tapes of our wedding and of Joanie in concert - the stuff of memories. I guess I am not the most sentimental guy in the world when it comes to such stuff. I don't need the tape of our wedding to remember the day and what I felt. It still makes me choke up and smile when I remember that day. I am more interested in Jonathan's hands that touch me today than handprints from years ago. I remember Joanie's mother all the time (she would be so proud and supportive of what we are doing in this move - Just as Dad is). I love the memories, but the objects don't always make me remember. The things those people did to impact my life - I remember them all the time.

No comments: