Sunday, July 30, 2006

George Bailey Was A Rich Man

Tonight was a wonderful night as the church gathered for a farewell dinner in our honor. One of our friends, a good man named Bill, made mention of my favorite film, "It's a Wonderful Life". In it the main character, George Bailey (played flawlessly by Jimmy Stewart), finds that his life has meaning because he has invested himself in the lives of the small town population that has come to his house in his hour of need. The movie ends with a toast to George, "the richest man in town". Bill reminded me that I am a rich man having invested the last 11 years of my life in this church and in these people. My riches may not be found in houses or land, but they are laid up in the hearts and lives of people that will survive the ages. It is the legacy I leave behind here as I move on to the next phase of life.
As if to reinforce the thought, I came home to read an email from one of the first young men I ever had the privilege of having on my staff. Steve was barely out of high school when he first came to work with the youth of our church in Florida. He was a joy and special young man. Now, some two decades later, he is in the process of writing his dissertation. How ironic. He said he found his way to my blog through a search of my name. In his email he says some very nice things about our time together and the influence I had on his life. I am feeling a bit like Ol' George tonight. I have friends. I am feeling a bit rich.
As I go on to Seminary, my one hope is that I can have an influence on the next generation of preachers. Now, instead of investing in a congregation of people, I feel called to prepare to teach the next generation of those who will invest themselves in congregations around the country and around the world. Legacy is one thing but investment is quite another. As George Bailey found out that night, his legacy reached beyond Bedford Falls to the battlefields of Europe, the halls of business, and even the rooms of the White House. God willing, the legacy we have will outlive the life we lead.

No comments: