Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Family Time

I am so fortunate to have the family that I have. I talked to two of my boys today and that brought a smile to my face and my heart. After being separated from my youngest son for nearly a year while he and his wife were studying theater in England, I got to see them for the first time last week - and today I called him on the phone and got a chance just to chat. How nice. At the moment I am talking to my middle son who is just coming home from work (he lives in Indiana) and is telling my wife and I about his day. It is not earth shattering conversation, but is the joy that is inherent in communicating with my boys. It is a precious thing to be at this stage of my life (I'm 53) and with my boys in their 20's (Ok, Doug, is on the other side of 40 but who's counting?) and still have all of them enjoy talking to me, seeing me, having me visit, and asking for advice. In a world with so many estranged families who cannot communicate at all or who cannot stand to be together, I have a loving family that cherishes times together and moments spent eating a meal, playing a game, going to a movie, or just driving along talking together in the car.
My three sons (Ok, couldn't resist) have married three very unique and incredibly special women. They are beautiful, talented, caring, loving, and very interesting people. I look forward to decades of spending time listening to them and sharing with them. I will be a better person because of their unique gifts, talents and intellect. Amazingly, they have all married into families that we enjoy spending time with (though we have spent far too little time with Susan's family over the years). We have begun deep friendships with the Flores' and Klecka's that we cherish already and enjoy immensely.
Dads, don't ever take for granted the years you have with your kids. The struggles of early parenting are all worth it when you get to this side of life. Moms, make sure you hug your kids today and tell them that you love them. The expressions of love you get after they become adults are some of the sweetest expressions you will ever experience. Children, call your parents, email them, send them a note, do something that tells your parents how much you love and appreciate them. They will bask in the glow of your expression of love.

No comments: