Thursday, August 16, 2007

Shoes

I will be going with Joanie today to a store in LA so she can buy shoes. Over the course of 32 years of marriage, I have attempted to avoid doing this as much as possible. Joanie hates to go shoe shopping because she can never make a decision and the decisions she makes are often ones she regrets after getting them home. However, the course of the last few years has made this process even more difficult. Let me explain.
About 3 years or so ago, Joanie had foot surgery. She had a bunion removed - a process that involved breaking her foot, shaving the bone and resetting the break with a pin in her foot. Ever since then, shopping for shoes has become even more problematic. Now, since her hip surgery, she has to go to a special store to get orthopedic shoes. As a result of her surgery, her left leg is slightly longer than the other one. This means she has the added burden of finding comfortable, fashionable shoes that will be helpful to her walking issues.
So, I'm going shoe shopping today. This would come under the "for better, for worse" injunction of the marital vows. But it is important for Joanie - for her health and well-being. And, therefore, it is important for me. I am reminded that not everything is about me and my needs. Marriage is a partnership with significant give and take. I get a lot and I give a lot. That is the nature of a marriage partnership. So, it's the shoe store today. It may not be the most exciting thing I will ever do, but it is part of what it means to be in relationship together. O Lord, please help Joanie find shoes....quickly. Please. Amen.

No comments: