Friday, October 13, 2006

Now, It's Your Chance

Frustrations come in many forms. I have been frustrated at others - like slow drivers on the freeways or people behind the counter at Taco Bell that ignore you while you are standing there ready to order your lunch. At times, I have gotten frustrated at God - like when I want my prayers answered my way or when God seems to take a much longer time responding than I think is necessary. But, like most of us, I get more frustrated at myself than I do at others or at God. Today, I took some time off. I rested a little bit from the grind of days and then got busy this afternoon working on my classwork for tonight. However, I didn't plan my time very well. By the time Joanie came in the door from work, I needed another hour to be ready for class. Unfortunately, there was less than a half an hour before I had to be in class. When I entered the Hebrew classroom I was afraid I wasn't quite prepared. Well, I was right. Two words that I had trouble remembering from the vocabulary list were on the quiz. I got them confused. In the end I got 3 wrong. Not the end of the world, but I was frustrated. Not that I got them wrong but that I hadn't managed my day very well.
You ever feel like that? Frustrated not at failure or loss but at not managing things the way you wanted? That kind of frustration comes out of a sense that God has given you so much that you could do that, when you feel like you wasted your potential, you feel like you've let everyone down - yourself, the teacher (or boss or family member or friend or co-worker or whomever), God, and your own expectations. What do you do with that frustration? That's a great question. I have known athletes that use their own failures as motivation to reach greater heights. I read the Gospels and see the greatest failure (the crucifixion) becoming the greatest symbol of hope in the world. What I do know is that God gives second chances (and third, fourth and fifth ones, too!). Whatever frustrations we may have at our own failure to fulfill the potential we have or the possibilities in front of us, it does not mean that we have to wallow in the lost moment. God gives us a lifetime to use both for His glory and for our redemption. God allows me to redeem the lost moment. Next Tuesday I will, once again, take a Hebrew quiz. I don't know if I will do any better, but I do know that I will be better prepared. I would rather have that sense of fulfillment that comes when you do your best than this sense of frustration that comes from fumbling the moment. That's my decision. Now, it's your chance.

4 comments:

strauss said...

Jeffrey, your message was exactly what I needed right now - you have no idea.

strauss said...

P.S. Thank you

PJ said...

I'm glad it was helpful. God speaks in many ways through many voices. God bless.

PJ said...

P.S. Your Welcome