Friday, September 1, 2006

Distractions

For the first time in my life we have the Dish Network. We got it because, as an NFL fan, I wanted to get the NFL Ticket and be able to watch whatever football games I want whenever I want to watch them. When we arrived home from our son's wedding we found that the Dish was not working. That was yesterday. Today the technician arrived and fixed the Dish. Now we have TV.
It's amazing how much less I feel like I got done today because I could sit down and watch TV. TV is a distraction. That's what it is intended to be. It distracts you from the other things that should or could catch your attention. I have the tendency to come into the room and turn on the TV. It creates noise and, well, distracts me from day. Once distracted, I lose focus. Once I lose focus I become unproductive. Sound familiar?
Well, my new reality is that Joanie goes to work early in the morning and I get up early in the morning. What I am committed to do is to not turn on the TV until later in the day. I want to use my time wisely and productively. I don't need to be distracted from the needs of the day. I need to be focused.
What distracts you? What removes your focus? Do you get distracted by daydreams? How about worry? Do minute little details get your focus and you lose the big picture? Do you get caught up in other people's situations and fail to focus on the needs at hand? Sports? Shopping? Sleeping? The internet? Everyone struggles with their version of the Dish Network - Something that turns you away from what God and the priorities of the day would choose. What will you do about it? How will you overcome it? How you answer that will make all the difference in how you live your life and what you get done. Good luck. Focus!

No comments: