Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Summing It All Up

At some point I am sure I will write the incredible story (in detail) of the wedding that took place on Sunday between our son, Jonathan, and his bride, Maria. I know every parent thinks that his or her child's wedding is the best, but I must say, the three weddings that I have officiated at for my three sons have been the most meaningful and joyous celebrations I have ever experienced at a wedding (and I've officiated at quite a few - over 100 for sure). Suffice it to say that the big surprise ending of the wedding was the story of what happened to Jonathan and Maria following the weeks after her surgery last August. It was my privilege to reveal that this fine young couple chose to get married last October in a private ceremony officiated by Maria's father and me so that they would not have to live together or do anything with their lives together that would compromise their values or their witness. However, that neither took away from nor diminished the wedding day. In many ways I believe it added to it - to make their witness complete. August 27th of 2006 became a marvelous triumph which redeemed the disastrous events of August 27th 2005. Instead of being a day of remembering what didn't happen and surgeries and all the rest, it now becomes a day of remembering what did take place and what has happened.
I believe that God has both the power and the desire to redeem the days for us. It took me many years before I could pass by a September 8th or a Valentines Day and not remember the death of my father or the funeral of my mother. But now, as time has passed, God has helped to heal the loss and redeem the days. What tragedy fills your calendar? What painful event remains a part of your internal clock so that, no matter what happens, you still remember it? Why not allow God to redeem the day? Plan some other celebration on that day or around that time that helps make the day a day or rejoicing instead of a day of sadness. Healing comes from God in many forms. Redemption is but one of them. Let God redeem your days.

No comments: