Tuesday, August 23, 2005

The Power of Prayer

Tonight, in a phone call with my son, Jonathan, we found out that his fiancee, Maria, is going to have a heart catheterization tomorrow morning. She is 23, in great health, scheduled to get married this Saturday and will be having this surgical procedure at the hospital she works at as a nurse. Immediately, Joanie and I packed up our bags and headed out from Tallmadge, Ohio to make the 5 hour drive to Maria's apartment in Indianapolis so we can be with them tomorrow at 7am for the procedure.
Our first thought was to call folks and ask for prayer. We called Fresno, Tampa, and let the folks in Tallmadge know what was going on. Tonight we have talked with folks from around the country who have heard through the grapevine of the situation. All have called to assure us of their prayers. For many years I have been the one on the other end of the phone call assuring others of my prayers and the prayers of the church. As I have understood even in those situations, it is very different on the other end of the prayer cycle. Now, once again, I am experiencing what it means to be the recipient of others prayer focus. As I write this Maria is preparing to try and get some sleep (not very probable) and preparing for a day that may change her life and her plans for the future. Through it all the thing that is sustaining her is her faith in God's loving care and the prayers of God's loving people. It sustains her, her parents, her fiancee, and Joanie and me. Thank you for praying. It means a lot.

No comments: