Saturday, June 18, 2005

Making Holes into Wholes

I have been faithfully writing this summer. I am nearly finished with two chapters of my book. As I was writing tonight I spent some time reflecting about a statement that the late Dr. Samuel Hines once said. In sermon development you should "turn your holes to wholes". When he said that he was talking to preachers about preaching the whole counsel of God (being a series preacher rather than just preaching isolated, disconnected texts and themes from week to week). It was great advice. I wonder if it might not be great advice for you too?
We live such fragmented lives. While Joanie's mother lived with us my wife had too many jobs. She was a mother to her boys, a wife to her husband, a daughter to her father, a nurse to her mother, a teacher to her students, a pastors wife to the congregation, etc., etc., etc. It became excrutiatingly difficult to manage which role she was to have at the moment. Her life had holes in it - but not much of a whole to it. If a sabbatical has had any affect on me during these first six weeks it is to allow me the time and focus to turn my holes into wholes. You ever feel like that? Feel like you are just a series of holes? You are one thing at work, one thing at home, another at the store, something at night, another during the day, etc., etc., etc.? If believing in Jesus Christ is to produce anything in us it should help us to become whole persons. After all, one of the great blessings of salvation is that the holes in my life are forgiven and I am allowed to integrate the spiritual dimension of my life into the social, physical, and mental aspect of my life. The result is that, in Christ, I am allowed to become a whole person.
So, come on up out of the holes you have dug for your life and find the joy of being a whole person. Wouldn't it be great to be just one person instead of so many others? Welcome to the life of salvation.

No comments: