Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Down Time


One of the least understood areas of ministry is "down-time." Ministers are notorious for not taking vacations; for working (or being expected to work) long hours; working on weekends (Sunday is, after all, a real work day for pastors); and being available to their constituents 24/7. A December 12, 2009 article from the Kalamazoo Gazette says, "Pastors, by nature tend to feel indispensable," said the Rev. Ken Baker, who has been lead pastor at Third Christian Reformed Church for 18 years. "We’re not busier than other people — everyone is busy — but we tend to excuse our busyness under the cloak that it’s OK, because it’s holy work." The article speaks to the importance of taking a Sabbath rest, something that pastor's rarely do.
In my last pastorate, I worked for 10 years without taking a real break. The leadership of the congregation saw the burnout that was taking place and gave me a sabbatical leave for the summer. It was not without controversy. Those working 40 hour jobs tended to wonder why a pastor should get a three or four month break with pay. By the time I got back from the sabbatical, forces were at work to undermine my position, much of it being fueled by my absence. No wonder pastors are hesitant to take a Sabbath rest! I heard of one pastor who had a business meeting take place while he was away on vacation. The meeting was to hire an associate pastor. Everything was in place, so the pastor went on vacation. When he came back he found that the congregation had not voted on the associate. They wondered why they should hire an associate when they really were questioning the ministry of their present senior pastor. Within months, the senior pastor was on a more "permanent" vacation. Such fears are legendary in pastoral circles. It fuels the desire of many pastors not to be away from their pulpits very long, if at all.
Since matriculating to Fuller and doing my PhD, I have had a break from pastoring. My role with two congregations here in Southern California has been as an interim and on a limited role. I have not had the pressures of the normal pastoral role. However, in doing the PhD I have worked hard and finished my preliminary work in 3 1/2 years, an extremely quick pace. I have not taken off a quarter since I arrived in 2006. I have taken classes, seminars, and taught during that time in addition to being an interim and writing my dissertation. I am ready for a break. Since I turned in my dissertation on December 11, I have been relearning how to relax. During the last weeks of my dissertation writing, I found myself in the car driving to worship on Sunday. It was during that drive, stuck at a red light, that I realized I had not been out of the apartment since returning from worship the previous Sunday. Such is the life of the PhD student!
With Joanie recuperating from hip replacement surgery, I have found myself once again stuck in the apartment. However, it is a much different pace. I've watched some TV, a few movies, and played board games with Joanie. This is the first time I have written anything at all in several weeks. It feels good to take a break. Everyone needs a Sabbath rest. If you can't get it on Sundays, find a way to get it somewhere else. Your health (mental and physical), your spiritual life, and your family will respond positively to a little "down time."

1 comment:

Sarah Kennedy said...

Hooray for down-time! You deserve it! I found your blog awhile ago and just checked and saw you updated it this past month--looking forward to future updates :)