Monday, March 16, 2009

New Post - Finally

After much searching and digging, I have finally recovered my password. I am so sorry about the long delay. Hopefully, this will not happen again.
I have just finished writing the first chapter of my dissertation. It is about 65 pages long and will comprise one of four chapters in my dissertation. This dissertation is about the concept of Creativity in Preaching. This first chapter traces the work of Erasmus (he was a contemporary of Martin Luther in the early 1500's) and sets up the idea that creativity is not a function of human effort but a reflection of the creative nature of Christ, the Word of God. Since the Word is how God creates, when we preach the Word of God we are preaching creatively.
The second chapter will concentrate on the differences between creativity and imagination. It will trace the biblical meanings of those words and end up with the idea that God is creative, therefore our preaching about God is creative.
The third chapter will concentrate on neuroscience and how the brain functions in creativity. Since God speaks to our brains when he reveals himself, the creative function of the brain reflects the influence of the Holy Spirit on our minds. Therefore, when we preach creatively, we do so by the action of the Holy Spirit on our minds.
My final chapter will be my ideas concerning creativity in preaching. I have been studying an old Jewish series of commentaries on the scriptures called midrash. It is a creative take on scriptural texts. I hope it will form a strong foundation for what I mean when I talk about narrative preaching in a creative form.
Anyway, that's where I am. I hope to keep more contact now that I have recovered my Google password. Thanks for being patient.

2 comments:

Jerry said...

Welcome back.

Anonymous said...

You were to creative in creating your password.