Saturday, February 23, 2008

The Death of Rev. Horace W. Sheppard, Sr.

The man who led me to Christ died today. Rev. Horace Sheppard, Sr. was an incredible preacher and evangelist who will spend quite some time in eternity meeting all the souls he helped into the Kingdom. He was funny, dynamic, insightful, powerful, and loving. He introduced me as one of his sons. It was an introduction I was quite proud of and thoroughly enjoyed.
When I wrote my book I penned part of the dedication to him. I quoted there an old gospel song he used to sing. A few years ago at Anderson Camp Meeting they gave Bro. Sheppard an award as one of the Treasures of the Church. As part of that presentation, some of his friends were on stage to sing this great old song. It had become his signature piece. Shep, too infirmed to go to the piano to play it and too weak to sing it, the group was there to honor him by doing what he couldn't do. Suddenly, the life came back into those eyes of his and he stepped forward toward the mic. Sure enough, when the chorus was over (all that the group was going to sing) Shep belted out in perfect voice the words to the first verse. The choir joined in on the chorus. Shep sang a second and a third. Weakened by strokes and Parkinson's it didn't seem possible that he could manage to do what he did. But the gospel always shined bright in Horace. And the gospel brings life, even to infirmed bodies ravaged by time. It was a magical moment.

I'm sure the funeral service will be packed. I wish I was close enough to attend. It is the least I could do for my friend, my father in the Lord, my brother, my friend. Hanging on the wall of the apartment Joanie and I live in is my Ordination Certificate. Shep was on the Committee. After I was ordained, I took the certificate to him and asked him to sign it. He did. Tonight, I am particularly glad he did. Well done, thou good and faithful servant.

8 comments:

Safe Thus Far said...

"How I came to know those pilgrims . . ." That's the song, right? Do you know if a recording is available anywhere? I'd like to hear that song again!

Blessings,
Susan
(Streeter Stuart's daughter)

Anonymous said...

I was an admirer of the most energetic Horace W. Sheppard,Sr. I am a good friend of his son, Paul. I am thankful you wrote your blog, as the West Oak Lane Church has no web site and, therefore, no announcement of Horace's homegoing. God be praised for this memorable servant.
Glad the tomb is empty,
Richard Allen Farmer
Dallas, TX

Anonymous said...

They do have a website...

http://joanthedove.tripod.com/WestOakLaneChurch/WOL.htm

Stevan Dupree

Anonymous said...

joanthedove is not the official website.

Blessings,

Marcia

PJ said...

I'm glad you all have found this information. Susan, I think you emailed me that you did find the words to the song. I did get the notice of the final arrangements for Shep. I have posted them and his picture too.

Unknown said...

I just came from the homegoing service of Pastor Sheppard and it was a blessing. He left a hugh legacy. He talked of dying for 20 or more years. He also has been planning it too. He would have been very pleased. May the Lord God bless his family.

Unknown said...

I just came from the homegoing service of Pastor Sheppard and it was a blessing. He left a hugh legacy. He talked of dying for 20 or more years. He also has been planning it too. He would have been very pleased. May the Lord God bless his family.

Anonymous said...

Yes, Pastor Sheppard was my pastor also. I was born and raised under his ministry and consider myself to be blessed to be a close personal friend of his family. Horace Jr, his eldest son and I spent much time in our youth together, so I had the opportunity to see first hand this servant of God. Whatever definition Webster may have of the word "pastor", just erase it and replace it with the name Rev Horace Wesley Sheppard, Sr. I am still "feasting" off the two homegoing services and my life has been challenged by his life and memory.