Saturday, September 1, 2007

Out From the Safety of the Sanctuary

I spent most of the past week watching a group of about 20 children play soccer in the parking lot of the church. The goals were quite creative -but makeshift; The "field" had no grass - just macadam; The games had no referees - just parents and volunteers cheering. It may not have looked like either a soccer camp or a VBS - but actually was both. In a most unusual and creative departure from the usual VBS format, the children were instructed in both soccer and in the biblical applications that can be found in such a venture. A unique event and process to be sure. Two things struck me quite strongly:
  1. It is amazing what happens when the church gets out of the sanctuary and into the world. While pastoring in Fresno we moved a Fall Festival celebration from the sanctuary area out to the frontage road. We went from a couple of hundred "church" folk to nearly 1,000 people from the church, neighborhood, and passers-by. Something like that happened here, albeit in a different way. By taking the VBS program from the church building to the parking lot, we attracted several families that were simply passing by. Literally. A father drove by and saw what was happening, went back and got his child and they, in turn got other children and parents to come. That would have never occurred if the children were couped up in classrooms or in the back of the church were no one could see them. You may be able to tell from this picture that the church is located on a fairly busy street. The parking lot is more than adequate for any cars needed for Sunday worship or for the preschool that the church runs. As a result, no one ever parks on the street. You can drive by the church and never notice that it is there or that anything is taking place. But not last week. Last week there were cars parked on the street. Parents, volunteers, and leaders were forced to park on the street. And, as cars passed by, they couldn't help but notice all the cars and all the activity going on. Young people out in the church parking lot having loads of fun. That image says more to the community than any advertising campaign a media company could devise.
  2. It is amazing what happens when church people get off their Blessed Assurance and begin doing ministry that matters. When I interviewed with the Church of the Foothills about being their interim pastor, one of the leaders said that they had considered making a new sign for the front of the church that said, "Church of the Foothills - the church with no programs." An admirable thought, but what they really meant was that they gathered together for worship but not much else. But you should have seen them this week. Working together, playing together, interacting with folks from the neighborhood and the preschool. Suddenly, their faces came alive and their attitudes changed as they saw the fruits of their labors being manifested on the faces of the children.
I don't know if this will change the church or the neighborhood, but I do know it will do more than all the average services and leadership meetings that have taken place over the last few years. Lives are changed when the church abandons the safety of the sanctuary for the rough and tumble world of ... well, the world. More things can happen in a parking lot than anyone can imagine.

3 comments:

Stal Herz said...

Hi Jeff,

Sounds like a very interesting way to live.

As for me, I dwell in the fantasy world - more importantly, the Fantasy Football World.

I have been a Fantasy Football Writer for some years now and am starting up on my own - this blog is the first step.

I have taken some of my old readers with me and hope to get some new ones as well.

Hope your draft went well.

Stop by for some start / sit em advice - I will answer any questions you may have.

Thanks.

-Stal

PJ said...

Saul,

How very nice to hear from you. I may very well have read some of your pieces at fftoday. I have a dynasty league that I am (first time) that I am quite excited about. We use IDP's as well. Quite challenging. I hope you will send me an email. I would love to communicate with you. I have bookmarked your blog and will look at it regularly. I look forward to hearing from you. My direct email address is fcogcommish@hotmail.com

Stal Herz said...

Hey Jeff,

Left you a response on my blog.

Indeed, I was the Shot Caller for Fantasy Football Today last year.

Selvin Young in a sleeper league is outstanding.

Thanks for stopping by.

-Stal