Tuesday, April 17, 2007

One Down, One to Go


They posted grades last week. My final grade for Hebrew was...(drum roll, please) - well, I'll get to that in a minute. After spending 20 weeks studying this ancient language, I know two things.
First, I know that it takes a lot more than 20 weeks to become familiar with another language that you only read and study with your eyes. Unless you are immersed in a language and forced to speak it on a daily basis, it all seems academic to you. So, after 20 weeks, I can't speak the language nor can I sit and read it with understanding.
Second, I know that Hebrew is a more complicated language than we were led to believe when we started. Letters are dropped from words on a regular basis; words are joined together at both the front and back of root words - words that easily get lost in the mix. Our instructor didn't ask us to really memorize the vowel pointings but just have an idea which sounded like a, e, i, o, or u. Then we had so many words that were changed in meaning and context by having one point (or dot) that changed or didn't change. In order to handle Hebrew, it would require a much deeper introduction to the whole language than what we received.
Having said that, I am now prepared to take the same class over again. At least, that's what most of the members of my class did. Almost everyone in the class had as much knowledge of Hebrew that I have now when they started the class back in September. Considering the disadvantage that I faced going into the class, I am quite proud of my grade - and really glad to be done with the language requirement. Since I passed the class, I am no longer a "probationary admit" to the Seminary. I have fulfilled all the requirements for my entrance to the Ph.D. program. I am a full, regular student!
By the way, first quarter I received an A- for the class. Second quarter, though, I received... and A-! Yea!!!!!!!!!!!!!
One language down, and one more to go. This summer - Latin for 10 weeks. Hmmm. I can hardly wait.

1 comment:

Jerry said...

never had a doubt.